Monday, February 2, 2015

Divorce Chamber

I finally decided to confront the inevitable. At some point, I had to stop postponing this anyway. I wasn't able to take many photos during the actual wrestle, but at least the progress has been quite positive.
In car manufacturing, the chassis and engine start being manufactured in separate lines and brought together in the step called "marriage". Following the same convention, I'm playing the divorce lawyer this time. I'll take out the engine.

Let''s drain the engine oil first. There was only half a liter left. Compared to the nominal capacity of 1,25 liters, it is not a very pleasant situation. But not unexpected either, almost every single gasket and tap is leaking after all. The bottom face of the whole engine block was oil all around.

At least a good view. I haven't seen a slightest metal bit in the drained oil or on the tap. This means, the odds are quite low, to find a destroyed part, when I open up the engine block. That's relieving.
The oil is out, but the wiring is still connected to the main block. The power generator sits in the front of the main block, under a cover attached with two simple screws. It produces a proud 60 Watts of power. That is, if your headlights are on, you're already sucking up all the breath of the poor chap. Thinking of the 2x35 Watt fog lights, 50-60 Watt heated grips, two power outlets for this and that on my other motorbike, I can't help feeling embarrassed of extravagance.
That is all there is. I even saw bikes with the original power generator removed and a cheapo car alternator somehow attached to the system. But you know tha it is not what I intend to do.

Removing the four screws to the bottom of the circle, I let the main wiring harness loose and set the engine block completely free.
The cover does not look so fresh either. I want to have it taken care of, and let it shine with nickel plating.
As you see, I'm working with extreme care and precision! Well in fact, I'm dead scared of forgetting what I removed where, when I start bringing the old beemer back together. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later, the only question is, when?
As the cabling is loose, there remain only two huge pins that attach the block to the chassis. The first one to the front did not resist too much and easily got loose. The second and the stronger one, carrying the actual weight, was not that that simple, though. Hammering from one side and pulling on the other, I split it with a very nice and clear cut just in the middle. Not a big loss at all, it is fairly rusty anyway.
I will definitely clean the speedo screen. The nice and shiny frame is folded onto the main body and it looks possible to let it loose by wrapping it, so that I can clean the dial and the glass and even replace the speedo wire. But the thought of warping it beyond any repair is not so pleasant.
After the bolts, the rest was just sheer power. I didn't feel very fit at all, but I was able to take the engine out of the frame and put it on the floor. 

These barebones are what's left from the bike. 


I will not be able to continue working the next two weeks. This definitely does not mean that I will not write and continue researching, but there will not be much action. Consider all those fancy TV series taking months of season breaks, by all fairness, couldn't I get along with just two weeks of pause?

No comments:

Post a Comment